Friday, February 29, 2008

me me meme

why are memes so much fun? i love reading other peoples. i have been tagged by georgie to do the "seven random/weird things about yourself" meme. where does one start?

first the rules:

1. Once you are tagged, link back to the person who tagged you.
2. Post THE RULES on your blog.
3. Post 7 weird or random facts about yourself on your blog.
4. Tag 7 people and link to them.
5. Comment on their blog to let them know they have been tagged.


the weird or random things:

1. i used to be a barefoot feral crusty roaming the streets of newtown wearing flannel shirts with bright pink hair and a nose ring. my favourite bands at the time were sonic youth and british indi bands like ride or lush. these years pass in a blur for reasons i do not need to mention here.

2. i went to aftrs for a few years. i was chosen to do the BA in scriptwriting. i wrote three short films and directed two. one of the ones i wrote was selected for competition at the st kilda film festival and a french womens film festival. i hate the film industry. it is full of wankers.

3. i also worked for a major state health service as a project officer for a multicultural hiv/aids service. apart from my complete arse of a boss, i loved working there and met so many great people from all over the world. i miss doing real work like that.

4. like george, i love to sing. i am pretty good at it. i was in all those primary school choirs that performed at the opera house. i was in a choir a few years back called the sapphire lounge singers. our director was a good singer but not a great teacher but we had heaps of fun anyway. i miss the divas!

5. i did physical culture when i was young. i was also quite good at this, i came second in the state once. katherine ross was my nemesis, she always beat me. my leotard was always white, and i had too much hair for one bun so had to wear two side buns like princess leia with silver thread through them. i quit because i am so anti-competitive. but i can still touch my toes and can sit in the lotus position no worries.

6. i am estranged from most of my family. my mum and dad divorced when i was about 9 and it was very messy and i didnt see him for the longest time. we reconnected a few years ago. i am just like him. i am so like him its scary. because i am so like him i dont get on with my mother or sister who refuse to speak to me because i spoke to him. ah families, great arent they?

7. i like puppy dog kisses and brown paper packages tied up with string. haha. that was a joke. i like lots of things. none of them particularly surprising. chocolate. knitting. the feel of new wool. i would once have said reading was my favourite pastime but since i started my phd i havent picked up a novel. still, my favourite book of all time is middlemarch. i love the classics more than anything, particularly the victorians. george eliot, dickens, gaskell, and austen of course. but i like the darkness of eliot most. when i was in florence i ran along the wall above the arno and pretended i was romola. for a second. you cant run for more than 5 feet along there without banging into another tourist or someone selling cheap ceramics, or rip offs of the masterpieces in the uffizi. it is my hearts desire to go back there with trent in the next 12 months or so.

thats too many things all wrapped up in point number 7. if there was point number 8 i would say i am completely incapable of thinking logically and rationally. but you probably already guessed that.

ok, now i have to tag people that havent already been tagged? who the hell hasnt been tagged? um, lets try these. jejune, amy, taphophile, rose red, quiltingmick, donna and caffeine fairie.

i have tried to avoid people who i think have been done before, but if youve been done feel free to ignore this tag. unless you want to tell us ANOTHER 7 things?!

k xx

4 comments:

Michelle said...

That's sad about your family but, eh. Families are screwy. That's why I'm a great believer is surrounding yourself with people who love you and respect you for who you are. Making your own family (without the "having kids" but) if you will.

I was a HUGE fan of Ride in the early 90s, and I remember seeing them live (with the Hummingbirds) at the Enmore Theatre. I took my little brother who was visiting from Townsville. The irony is that I was (still am) the most square, geekish non-hip person ever at that concert.

Rose Red said...

Families are weird hey.

So, you lived in Newtown huh? Probably at the same time as me. Although I'm pretty sure we never mixed in the same circles since I was such a straighty-180 then. And still am, really. (Fight you for the title, Michelle!!)

Wasn't a big fan of Middlemarch though. Probably should read it again...if I wasn't so busy knitting!

TinkingBell said...

Aah yes - you can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your relatives!!
Like the image of you running along the wall with pink hair and singing!

Bells said...

Oh where to start.

OK, Middlemarch! I am obsessed with it at the moment. Am currently listening to the audio book, watching a video the tv adaptation and just bought it on DVD from ebay yesterday. I collect early editions of George Eliot novels. I might do a post on that!

I hateed physical culture. My parents used to laugh at me so I gave it up. Hmmm...reason #237 to be estranged from them. Sorry, I don't mean to make light of being estranged from my parents. I have been at times and will continue to be again and again, I imagine. It's very hard.

I can imagine you as a feral, somehow. It sorta fits. Can you post a photo from those days?

And I reckon the film industry would not be fun, either.