Monday, February 12, 2007

playing with wool

when one is done playing with sheep (see below) one likes to play with the product of said sheep.

my shade cards from bendigo arrived:


i am looking for a wool for the wrap and i dont want to do the usual black but it needs to go with jeans, and brown,black and berry corduroys for winter, so it cant be pastel or blue and i am just not a green person (i had my colour chart done ages ago and apparently i am a 'winter' ?!).

none of the plain solid colours grab me but i really want to buy bendigo for this one firstly because it is really nice wool and secondly because its so damn cheap. i need about 900grams and from bendigo that will cost me around $50. when i made trents jo sharp jumper about three quarters that amount of wool cost me $120!

so i am thinking that an earthy, muted,mottled colour might be the go, that will keep the wrap soft and flowy but wont make me look like a marshmallow (or a grape, thanks trent) and will go with lots of things.

hence i am tending towards their rustic range, and the colour that grabs me is agate, or colour number 903:



this photo doesnt do it justice but it is a greyish purple with flecks of reddish brown ...its so hard to tell tho with only two strands, i would like to see some knitted up but if i order before feb 23 i get 10% discount and im not going to waste that on only one ball!

anyone seen this colour knitted up before? opinions most welcome!

k xx

4 comments:

Bells said...

Oh Bendigo Shade cards! I thought they looked familiar as soon as I opened this post.

You're not wrong about the great value. How they stay so cheap, I don't know, but the quality is wonderful.

I think you're right about the agate. A good choice! the only thing I would say is that if you plan to wear the wrap against your skin, Rustic can feel A LITTLE scratchy. I do love it. It's one of my favourites, but it's not an entirely soft and smooth yarn. It does wear well though.

Margie said...

I love rustic. My not-a-hoodie was rustic, I've knitted in the purple 993 and also whatever number 905 is. They are absolutely be-yew-tiful colours. So heathery.
Oh and also a really bright red one too. I don't think it's the one on the card now though. Dunno.
Highly recommend.

DrK said...

ah yes, the not-hoodie. that was very nice. i have knitted some little squares once with the red tweed and i remember it being very nice quality. i am going to wear something under the wrap anyway so i think im going to bite the bullet and give the rustic a go! fingers crossed.

Taphophile said...

Love the colour. The rustic has a nice depth to it.